After posting about prioritizing your commitments and encouraging you to actually ADD something to your list, I didn’t want you to think I’m being hypocritical. We should practice what we preach, right?
I have a slew of commitments, but here are some ways I nuture myself. You can do something for yourself, too!
- For the past few years, I’ve read Simple Abundance. It’s light and motivational and has other practical, nourishing things you can do.
- Journaling — essential for everyone, especially writers.
- Days outside, especially with the coming spring. My son and I discovered the crocuses bloomed in what we call our “fairy ring.” (photo to right actually of our blooming friends) Even when I had pressing deadlines, apparently it was more important for the kids and me to be outdoors.
- Time with other moms. Support. Need I say more?
- Pretty accessories. I don’t have many, but the few I have are beautiful and meaningful. A pair of earrings my daughter made was added to my collection when I returned from my trip.
- Sacred spaces. Any place in my home where I spend time is converted to my sacred space. The kitchen sink, my desk, the bathroom.
- Candles/Incense. The house smells dingy sometimes, thanks in part to our large indoor dog, but I enjoy beautiful smells and feel better when the house smells better.
- Daily shower. Even as a mother of four, I take a daily shower as part of my 15-20 minute morning routine.
There are probably other things I do, too. All together, it sounds like I’m a selfish person, but I don’t do them all at once or all on the same day.
For those of you who are so lovely as to read this, please comment with your ideas for self-care. Or, contact me if you have problems leaving comments. We can always use new ideas that don’t involve buying a whole bunch of body products.
Take care of you!!