After realizing that traditional store-bought hot cocoa mixes include partially hydrogenated funk, I set out to perfect my own mix . . . without a cookbook. So without even a Google search, I think I have managed to make a cocoa like I remember my grandma’s tasting — smooth, warm and yummy.
In an effort to help you feel like you’re finding your own
mix, I’ll suggest this vaguely.
- Cocoa powder (I got the organic variety.) — I used roughly 1 tablespoon
- Sugar (organic) — about twice as much as the cocoa
- Milk (organic), heated — to fill the cup
That’s it. An organic hot cocoa. I cheated and used the microwave. It would be better to just heat the milk on the stove, but the kids were waiting . . . impatiently.
- Fill cup halfway with milk.
- Add cocoa and sugar. Stir well.
- Fill with milk. Stir again.
Now, I have yet to find organic marshmallows, and probably for good reason! But our family is addicted, so we top with the ‘mallows. We only had the large variety, so I cut them into quarters. (After watching a child choke on a large one, I second the warning to make sure small children don’t eat them whole. No one likes to perform the Heimlich!)
This made a darn near perfect cup of cocoa, if I do say so myself. Now, go fix some for yourself. You know you want to. 🙂